With the rising conflicts between Google and Symantec, and Digicert acquisition the time has arrived when your Symantec SSL certificate will not be recognized by Google.
After the acquisition of Symantec, Digicert has been trying to migrate customers to their own PKI. This was the time when browser community came out with the news to distrust Symantec SSL certificates. Google has been trying hard to work on their motto “safe internet for all” and has been constantly pushing new Chrome updates to educate users about the non-secure websites. As per their recent news, Google Chrome 68 update, they will flag every website as “Not Secure” if it is not secured by SSL certificate.
Chrome 66 has already been released to the Canary and Dev channels, meaning affected sites are already impacting users of these channels. In case these affected sites fail to replace their SSL certificates by March 15, 2018, Chrome Beta users will begin experiencing the failures as well. In-order to avoid these scenario, it is strongly recommended to replace your SSL certificate.
This update will affect all the websites having Symantec (including GeoTrust, Thawte, RapidSSL) SSL certificates.
This is how your affected website will look from March 15, 2018. Simultaneously, you can check your own website’s status by using Symantec ssl checker
What is Next for You?
If you have a Symantec SSL certificate for your website, then this would call for immediate actions. Your website may look like above image while your customers access it. Thank fully there are resources that can help you put DIY effort for this. Below is the step by step guide to successfully ride this wave.
- Take a list of all the SSL certificate that are being affected.
- Generate CSR key for all SSL certificate from their respective servers. You can use this tool to generate CSR quickly.
- Approach your existing SSL certificate provider and get your SSL certificate re-issued with the newly generated CSR key.
- Once your SSL certificate is issued, then install it on your web server. This is bit tricky if you are not well versed with the handling servers for the same. Simultaneously, you can try approaching SSL certificate installation service providers like ssl.support who can help you in SSL installation process at free of cost.
If your website is the entry point for all your clients then you should not miss this deadline provided by world’s leading browser. Undoubtedly, nobody would like to visit and interact with an unsafe website.
Latest posts by Unallocated Author (see all)
- Tips How To Recover Deleted Files on Windows PC Free and Easily - October 8, 2018
- iKeyMonitor Android Tracking App Review - September 4, 2018
- “Open Sesame” Vulnerability That Let Users Hack Windows 10 Was Demonstrated at Black Hat Conference - August 12, 2018