What is this dumpster diving tool you speak of?
The creator of this tool has given us an exclusive insight. LHN have drawn the conclusion that despite many cyber security professionals cringing at the American name ‘DumpsterDiver’ this tool is actually pretty nifty. One of the defining features is that it uses Shannon Entropy (complex stuff) to aid in finding private keys within huge volumes of file types such as AWS Access Keys, Azure Share Keys and SSH keys.
So what does it do?
The tool supports 3 different methodologies for finding hardcoded secrets:
– it uses Shannon entropy to find hardcoded keys (e.g. AWS Secret Access Key, Azure Share Key or SSH private key),
– it uses password’s strength checker to find hardcoded passwords
– it can search for multiple grep patterns.
What makes it unique to other similar tools?
– it can analyze ANY text file
– it can verify files compressed into archives (e.g. zip, tar.gz etc.)
– it can search through git logs
– it is fully customizable
– it uses a false positive filter rules
DumpsterDiver in action
The tool is fully customizable. All its features can be found in its help menu:
Let’s assume, we want to find common access keys, any complex, hardcoded password, or any mail address in ‘evilcorp.com
‘ domain. To do it you have to specify a path to a folder containing files to be analyzed and a few flags:
If you want to look only for AWS Secret Access Key, then you can use the following command:
Is it actively supported?
Yes, they are constantly adding new features as of the time of writing. Currently the development of this tool is focused on creating new false positive filter rules. In future, there are plans to add more search rules and eventual new methods. As this is open source project new contributors and ideas to implement are very welcome.
The tool can be quite useful especially for:
– Pentesters/red teamers discovering access to a target’s storage.
– Auditors to audit company’s storage.
– Administrators to set cyclic scans of their companies storage
By specifying what exactly is a secret in your company you can easily customize the DumpsterDiver tool and find the secret’s leak before the bad guys do.
If you want to download the tool you can do so here
What Bunny rating does it get?
We have decided to give this tool a very respectable bunny rating of 4/5 bunnies
If you would like to learn more about ethical hacking and such techniques, we have an exclusive course with a 90% discount HERE
Get in touch with us via the contact form
if you would like us to look at any other GitHub ethical hacking tools.