Every device that we own that connects us with the digital world has a system within it that helps connect the hardware it’s made of to the software that operates it. This is the second level of the device’s system and is known as a kernel. Think of the operating system of a device as a pyramid. The hardware – the physical parts of the device – is the base on which everything else is built.
After that is the kernel which differs based on which operating system you use. This is what controls the memory resources, the CPU resources and the processes of the device. On top of that is built the operating system the device employs – Android, iOS, etc. One step more is what you interact with. These are the applications and buttons that your phone or computer employs.
The catch that trips up many devices is that operating systems typically use different kernels for their base operations. Android uses Linux kernel whereas iOS implements the Darwin kernel. Getting these systems to play nice with each other can be difficult. Luckily, there are companies that offer devices that make system switching easy. macOS driver development allows iOS devices to operate on a Linux kernel with Androids.
What to look for in a Linux development service
Plenty of companies are available to start your Linux development service. If you’re in need of someone to help build a quality driver that allows you to access a Linux kernel without an Android device, you might also want to consider a company with the below-listed features.
- GUI-based development – When trying to implement an end-user program or a GUI-based program, you’ll need an external driver that can grant you communication with the device. Some services offer this feature during the development process.
- Integrating Linux – By integrating the peripheral devices onto a Linux kernel, you’re able to access communication between systems. An iOS device will be able to function with a Linux kernel due to the implementation of a separate driver.
- Kernel module development – When attempting to manually access low-control features on the hardware of a device, a kernel module is needed. This will enter into the system and grant low-control access to the user for customized additions to the device.
The Internet of Things
Every device on the Internet of Things has an internal kernel. This reaches from personal handheld devices all the way up to a NASA supercomputer. What is the Internet of Things? This is a global network of any device that has the capability to connect with the internet and record or store data. The network can be anything as large as the global connection or as small as your smart kitchen.
By developing drivers that allow for interplay between kernels, an IoT network can operate without the worry of having two different types of kernels on it. This means a company can have both Android company phones and iPhone company phones. A smart kitchen can have a fridge and an oven with two different operating systems. Projects currently in development are quite excited for the possible future of inter-kernel migration drivers.
Latest posts by Unallocated Author (see all)
- The Digital Revolution: Ways to Drive Business Growth in the Private Education Sector - March 9, 2020
- Top Cybersecurity Trends In 2020 - February 20, 2020
- Microsoft Rolled Out Huge Patch Tuesday February With 99 Bug Fixes - February 14, 2020